- Imagine your dream home
- The Home we long for
i. Relational and sinless – New Covenant in Christ’s blood – 1Cor 11:25
ii. Spirit empowered and victorious – New Covenant of Spirit who gives life, not of the letter which kills – 2Cor 3:6
iii. Sin is shucked – Promise that we are a New Creation in Christ – 2Cor 5:17
iv. Unity among people – 1 New man out of two (Jew/Gentile) in Christ – Eph 2:15
- New Heaven and new earth – (All Creation)
- It’s the home of righteousness: 2Pt 3:12-13 …look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
i. RIGHTEOUSNESS is heaven coming to earth.
ii. First heaven and earth = this world. Place of sin, realm Satan cast down, full of hostility to God. Chaos symbolized by sea, unpredictability, realm of dead.
- Place where tears, death, mourning, crying and pain exist (Rev 21:4).
- Broken – bones, families, governments, hearts, dreams
- Destroyed by fire
i. 1Cor 3:12-15 careful how you build, for the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work…if it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.
ii. Zeph 1:18 On the day of the Lord’s wrath, in the fire of his passion, the whole earth will be consumed.
- Home of Righteousness
i. Everything done is in accord with God’s desire, holiness, love, justice…
ii. Every relationship between people, God, natural/spiritual world is perfected
iii. Place where God’s blessing dwells, not his curse
- Prov. 3:33 The LORD’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous.
- There will not be a place in the new creation where evil, rebellion, insubordination will exist
i. Rom 8:21 Creation will be set free from its bondage to decay
ii. Rev 21:5a I am making everything new!
- Holy City, the new Jerusalem – (God and his People)
Read Isaiah 65:17-25 for Isaiah’s vision of the New Heaven and Earth – Don’t you want to be there? Perfect relationships, unity, power, life, health, blessing….
- Biblical references
i. JOY: Ps 46:4 is the earliest biblical ref. to city of God saying There is a river who makes glad the city of God, the holy place where most High dwells.
- Rev 21:3 “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.”
ii. PURITY: Isa 52:1 explicitly ties Jerusalem to the holy city, promising that never again will anything unholy enter into her Awake, awake O Zion, cloth yourself with strength, Put on your garments of splendor, O Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again.
- Rev 21:8, 27 “But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars – their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death…Nothing impure will ever enter it [New Jerusalem], nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.”
iii. TRUTH: Zech 8:3 Then Jerusalem will be called the city of Truth, and the mountain of the Lord Almighty will be called the Holy Mountain
- Imagine living in a place wher no lie ever told and every word built people up!
iv. Jerusalem was always to be a picture of God people dwelling with God Almighty. City of priests, rejoicing, celebration
- 1. Rev 21:3-4 Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
- A bride beautifully dressed for her husband (Rev 21:2b)
i. BEAUTY: Artistic language
- Calls to imagine beauty, splendor, radiance, bountiful provision, royal wonder
- Isa 61:10 speaks of bride and groom dressing and the bride is said to put on her robe of righteousness, garments of salvation.
- When we meet our God, it will not be because of any righteous things we have done, but because of his mercy, his provision, his giving of himself, to erase the stains of sin in our lives!
- Artistic language stretches even beyond wedding ceremony to include:
Picture of the temple mount, but temple is built on apostles and 12 tribes.
- IMMENSITY: Gigantic beyond measure
- 12000 stadia (21:16) = 1400 miles1
i. Seattle to Anchorage as crow flies (1435 miles)
ii. 1.96 million sq.miles or taking every state from Indiana west and making a city
iii. assuming 12 feet per story, 600,000 story building
iv. at 5000 miles away appear 130 times larger than moon
v. its size means there isn’t a place where its influence won’t be felt and affect all
- SAFETY: 144 cubits thick (21:17) = 200 feet
i. secure, impregnable
ii. Rev 21:25 on no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there
- The church’s final resting place is big, beautiful, secure, amply supplied, nothing lacking
- The best of the nations will supply her need – the glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it (Rev 21:26)
ii. CELEBRATION: Celebrative language
- Weddings are festive events.
- Rejoicing, anticipation, excitement
iii. PERMANENCE: Covenantal-Relational language
- If wedding is till death do us part, and there is no longer any death, the relationship between God and his people is covenantally permanent
- Isaiah 66:22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure.”
- d. Do you long for a place of righteousness, Joy, Truth, Purity, Beauty, Grandeur, Safety, Celebration, And Permanence?
- If you do, then come to Christ. Get united to him. Live with him now. Enjoy him. Seek these things now in preparation for your future.
ii. Trust in Christ’s complete work on the Cross for you
- Put on his wedding garments. Be Clothed in his righteousness by being united to his body
- Don’t just long for that world, experience it now.